Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Kreations Inspired By My Aunts

I have been busy in my kitchen for the past week and expect to be even busier for the next couple of weeks. My mother-in-law introduced me to canning last year when their garden had an abundance of green beans. My husband then bought me a 16-qt pressure cooker/canner. Since that time, I have not done much canning. This year, my uncle's garden had an over abundance of turnip bottoms. My parents picked all of them but did not have much of a use for them. I asked if I could have them. Last year I had seen on a blog where someone made pickled turnips. I wanted to try them. So I did. They are very pickled (dill) and only last 1 month in the refrigerator. I, on the other hand, were expecting a taste more like pickled beets. I have only tried pickled beets this year after my Aunt Patsy (from my husband's family) gave us some she had canned. They were great. So I got her recipe this weekend and plan to make the next batches with the pickled beet recipe just replacing the beets with turnips.

Well, my Aunt Annie, who is a great cook and cans a lot of things, gave us some Cinnamon Pickles one year made out of cucumbers. We loved them. So I decided to try this recipe with the turnips as well. It is a 5 day process to make these but well worth it. They are wonderful. You would never know that they are turnips. So I have decided that this recipe is a keeper.

I have a lot of work ahead of my with these turnips. My wonderful parents peeled and cut all of them for me. So I now have at least 6 more batches of turnips to can in the next few days. Wish me luck. If anyone would like to try some of them, let me know.

Pickled Turnips

Cinnamon Pickles (Yum!)

No comments:

Post a Comment